Bernstein Allergy Group is a leader in the field of Allergy & Immunology. Our physicians are board certified specialists in allergy, asthma and immunology testing and treatments. Here at Bernstein Allergy Group we are dedicated to providing the best personalized care for patients of all ages with allergic conditions of all kinds.
Founded in 1956, the Bernstein Allergy Group is one of the oldest and most well respected allergy clinics in the area. With hundreds of publications to their credit, the Bernsteins are nationally and internationally recognized as influential clinical educators and researchers. Our physicians are actively involved in both clinical and basic science research and are committed to education, training medical students, residents, and fellows so that the next generation of physicians are ready to serve the Cincinnati area.
Some of our achievements:
US News & World Report Top Doctors (US News & World Report)
Top Doctors in Cincinnati (Cincinnati Magazine)
Best Doctors in America (Cincy Magazine)
Board of Directors of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology
Directors of clinical Research at University of Cincinnati Immunology Research Center
Our practice has also been recognized as a center of excellence for various conditions including:
UCARE center of excellence for urticaria and angioedema: https://www.ga2len-ucare.com/centers.html
Part of a multicenter National Institute of Health (NIH) collaborative trial investigating drug hypersensitivity
Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE) Clinical Research Center of Distinction in conjunction with the Food Allergy Program at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
Publications & Research
Wondering if your Allergist is up to date with all the latest research and treatment options? You can be confident that the physicians at Bernstein Allergy Group are at the forefront of their field with hundreds of publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals to their credit as well as actively participating as editors and reviewers for a number of the top-rated allergy & immunology journals. Our physicians continued engagement in research and education has solidified them as experts in every area of allergy and immunology including chronic rhinosinusitis, asthma, immunodeficiency, eosinophilic and mast cell disorders, atopic dermatitis, immunotherapy and drug hypersensitivity reactions just to name a few. But don’t take our word for it! Below is just a small sampling of our physicians contributions to the field.
Recent publications by Dr. David I. Bernstein
- Bernstein DI, Tankersley M, Russell H. Injectable Epinephrine Should Be Prescribed to All Patients on Subcutaneous Aeroallergen Immunotherapy. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020
- Schmidlin K, Sani S, Bernstein DI, Fonacier L. A Hands-on Approach to Contact Dermatitis and Patch Testing. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020
- Bernstein DI, Epstein TEG. Safety of allergen immunotherapy in North America from 2008-2017: Lessons learned from the ACAAI/AAAAI National Surveillance Study of adverse reactions to allergen immunotherapy. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2020
- Nolte H, Bernstein DI, Nelson HS, Ellis AK, Kleine-Tebbe J, Lu S. Efficacy and Safety of Ragweed SLIT-Tablet in Children with Allergic Rhinoconjunctivitis in a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020
- Bernstein DI, Pavord ID, Chapman KR, Follows R, Bentley JH, Pouliquen I, Bradford E. Usability of mepolizumab single-use prefilled autoinjector for patient self-administration. J Asthma. 2019
- Hassoun Y, Stevenson MR, Bernstein DI. Idiopathic Post-Prandial Diarrhea Responsive to Anti-histamines. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2019
- James C, Bernstein DI, Cox J, Ryan P, Wolfe C, Jandarov R, Newman N, Indugula R, Reponen T. HEPA filtration improves asthma control in children exposed to traffic-related airborne particles. Indoor Air. 2019
- Hassoun Y, James C, Bernstein DI. The Effects of Air Pollution on the Development of Atopic Disease. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2019
- Mahler V, Esch RE, Kleine-Tebbe J, Lavery WJ, Plunkett G, Vieths S, Bernstein DI. Understanding differences in allergen immunotherapy products and practices in North America and Europe.235 J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2019
- Bernstein DI, Lummus ZL, Kesavalu B, Yao J, Kottyan L, Miller D, Cartier A, Cruz MJ, Lemiere C, Muñoz X, Quirce S, Tarlo S, Sastre J, Boulet LP, Weirauch MT, Kaufman K. Genetic variants with gene regulatory effects are associated with diisocyanate-induced asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018
- Bernstein DI, Andersen L, Forth R, Jacques L, Yates L.Once-daily fluticasone furoate/vilanterol versus twice-daily fluticasone propionate/salmeterol in patients with asthma well controlled on ICS/LABA. J Asthma. 2018
Recent publications by Dr. Jonathan A. Bernstein
- Bernstein JA. Progestogen Sensitization: a Unique Female Presentation of Anaphylaxis. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2020 Jan 28;20(1):4.
- Shaker MS, Wallace DV, Golden DB, Oppenheimer J, Bernstein JA, et al. Anaphylaxis – a 2020 Practice Parameter Update, Systematic Review and GRADE Analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2020 Jan 27. pii: S0091-6749(20)30105-6.
- Patel GB, Kern RC, Bernstein JA, Hae-Sim P, Peters AT. Current and Future Treatments of Rhinitis and Sinusitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020 Jan 28. pii: S2213-2198(20)30071-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2020.01.031. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lai Y, Zhang G, Zhou Z, Inhaber N, Bernstein JA, Chockalingam PS, Wu J. A novel functional C1 inhibitor activity assay in dried blood spot for diagnosis of Hereditary angioedema. Clin Chim Acta. 2020 Feb 12;504:155-162.
- Bernstein JA, Virchow JC, Murphy K, et al. Effect of fixed-dose subcutaneous reslizumab on asthma exacerbations in patients with severe uncontrolled asthma and corticosteroid sparing in patients with oral corticosteroid-dependent asthma: results from two phase 3, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. Lancet Respir Med. 2020 Feb 14. pii: S2213-2600(19)30372-8. doi: 10.1016/S2213-2600(19)30372-8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Leisman DE, Harhay MO, Lederer DJ, Abramson M, Adjei AA, Bakker J, Ballas ZK, Barreiro E, Bell SC, Bellomo R, Bernstein JA, et al. Development and Reporting of Prediction Models: Guidance for Authors From Editors of Respiratory, Sleep, and Critical Care Journals. Crit Care Med. 2020 Mar 4. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000004246. [Epub ahead of print]
- Shaker MS, Oppenheimer J, Wallace DV, Golden DBK, Lang DM; Joint Task Force for Allergy Practice Parameters, Lang ES, Bernstein JA, Campbell RL, Chu D, Dinakar C, Ellis AK, Greenhawt M, Horner C, Lieberman JA, Rank MA, Stukus DR, Wang J. Making the GRADE in Anaphylaxis Management: Towards Recommendations Integrating Values, Preferences, Context, and Shared Decision-Making. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2020 Mar 18. pii: S1081-1206(20)30153-8. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2020.03.009. [Epub ahead of print]
- Maurer M, Aberer W, Agondi R, Al-Ahmad M, Al-Nesf MA, Ansotegui I, Arnaout R, Arruda LK, Asero R, Aygören-Pürsün E, Banerji A, Bauer A, Ben-Shoshan M, Berardi A, Bernstein JA, et al. Definition, aims, and implementation of GA2 LEN/HAEi Angioedema Centers of Reference and Excellence. Allergy. 2020 Apr 5. doi: 10.1111/all.14293. [Epub ahead of print]
- Saini S, Shams M, Bernstein JA, Maurer M. Urticaria and Angioedema across the ages. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020 Apr 13. pii: S2213-2198(20)30329-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2020.03.030. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hirano I, Chan ES, Rank MA, Sharaf RN, Stollman NH, Stukus DR, Wang K, Greenhawt M, Falck-Ytter YT,Chachu KA, Day L, Lebwohl B, Muniraj T, Patel A, Peery AF, Shah R, Singh H, Singh S, Spechler SJ, Sultan S, Su GL, Thrift AP, Weiss JM, Weizman AV, Bernstein JA, et al. AGA institute and the joint task force on allergy-immunology practice parameters clinical guidelines for the management of eosinophilic esophagitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2020 May;124(5):416-423.
- Mersha TB, Afanador Y, Johansson E, Proper SP, Bernstein JA, et al. Resolving Clinical Phenotypes into Endotypes in Allergy: Molecular and Omics Approaches. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2020 May 6. doi: 10.1007/s12016-020-08787-5. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
- Cherrez-Ojeda I, Mata VL, Vanegas E, Felix M, Bernstein JA, et al. Influence of Generational Cohorts on the Preferences for Information and Communication Technologies in Latin American Patients with Obstructive Lung Diseases. Int J Telemed Appl. 2020 Jan 23;2020:2489890. doi: 10.1155/2020/2489890. eCollection 2020.PMID: 32411213
- Morais-Almeida M, Aguiar R, Martin B, Ansotegui IJ, Ebisawa M, Arruda LK, Caminati M, Canonica GW, Carr T, Chupp G, Corren J, Dávila I, Park HS, Hanania NA, Rosenwasser L, Sánchez-Borges M, Virchow JC, Yáñez A, Bernstein JA, et al. COVID-19, asthma, and biologic therapies: What we need to know. World Allergy Organ J. 2020 May 16:100126. doi: 10.1016/j.waojou.2020.100126. Online ahead of print.PMID: 32426090
- Riedl MA, Maurer M, Bernstein JA, Banerji A, Longhurst HJ, Li HH, Lu P, Hao J, Juethner S, Lumry WR; HELP Investigators. Lanadelumab demonstrates rapid and sustained prevention of hereditary angioedema attacks. Allergy. 2020 May 26. doi: 10.1111/all.14416. Online ahead of print.
- Bernstein JA, Schwartz L, Yang W, et al. Long-term Safety and Efficacy of Subcutaneous C1-Inhibitor in Older Patients With Hereditary Angioedema. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2020 May 20:S1081-1206(20)30333-1. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2020.05.015. Online ahead of print.
Recent publications by Dr. Justin Greiwe
- Greiwe J, Pazheri F, Schroer B. Nannies’ Knowledge, Attitude and Management of Food Allergies of Children: An Online Survey. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2015 Jan-Feb;3(1):63-7.
- Greiwe J, Bernstein, JA. Nonallergic Rhinitis: Diagnosis. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2016 May; 36(2): 289-303.
- Greiwe J, Bernstein, JA. Therapy of Antihistamine-Resistant Chronic Spontaneous Urticaria. Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2016 Nov 3:1-8.
- Greiwe J, Bernstein, JA. Combination Therapy in Allergic Rhinitis: What Works and What Does Not Work. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2016 Nov 1;30(6):391-396.
- Greiwe J. (2017) In Vitro and In Vivo Test for Drug Hypersensitivity Reactions. In: Khan D (eds) Drug Allergy Testing 1st Edition. Elsevier.
- Greiwe J. (2018) Nonallergic Vasomotor Rhinitis. In: Bernstein JA (ed.) Rhinitis and Related Upper Respiratory Conditions: A Clinical Guide. Springer, Cham.
- Greiwe J, Bernstein JA. (2019) Occupational Asthma. In: Mahmoudi M., Craig T., Ledford D. (eds) Allergy and Asthma. Springer, Cham.
- Greiwe J, Bernstein, JA. (2019) Anaphylaxis. Kellerman R, Rakel D (ed.), Conn’s Current Therapy. Elsevier Limited.
- Greiwe J. Oral Food Challenges in Infants and Toddlers. Stukus DR (ed.). Immunology and Allergy Clinics. Elsevier Limited. 2019 Nov 39(4), 481-493.
- Greiwe J. Using Telemedicine in a Private Allergy Practice. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2019 Nov – Dec;7(8):2560-2567.
- Greiwe J, Bernstein, JA. (2019) Approach to the patient with hives. Ditto A (ed.), Medical Clinics on Allergy and Immunology for the Internist. Elsevier Limited.
- Greiwe J, Bernstein, JA. Allergic and Mixed Rhinitis: Diagnosis and natural evolution. Current Controversies and Challenges in Allergic Rhinitis Management (2020).