I have been practicing Allergy and Clinical Immunology since 1988 and at Bernstein Allergy Group since 1990. I have had the unusual honor to practice with my father, I. Leonard Bernstein and brother David Bernstein. As an Allergy specialist, we see many patients with routine problems such as allergic rhinitis and asthma but also many patients with more complex problems. I have always tried to look at the whole patient rather than focus on the specific complaint as often allergic disorders are associated with many co-morbid conditions that also need to be addressed in order to successfully treat the primary condition. As a Professor of Clinical Medicine I have been involved in educating fellows, medical residents and medical students as well as conducting clinical and translational research. My interest in research is fueled by the patients I see as they often have conditions that are not well understood. I believe our practice contributes to our specialty by not only providing excellent patient care, but also by investigating diseases and treatments.
I have a wide range of research interests including the health effects of home and occupational environmental exposures in asthma patients, allergic and non-allergic rhinitis, urticaria (hives) and angioedema including hereditary angioedema, food and drug hypersensitivity, atopic and contact dermatitis, and a number of women’s allergic health issues including chronic candida vulvovaginitis, progesterone hypersensitivity and seminal plasma hypersensitivity. I also have extensive experience conducting multicenter and physician initiated clinical therapeutic trials. I have published over 275 peer reviewed articles on a variety of relevant topics in Allergy and Clinical Immunology, numerous book chapters in addition to editing 4 Allergy textbooks. In addition, I am very involved in our local and national professional organizations and am editor-in-chief of the Journal of Asthma. I have been honored by my colleagues and patients by being voted “Best Doctor” in Cincinnati from 1999 to 2018 and have been ranked by US New and World Report as being in the top 1% of doctors in my specialty. I have also been elected as a member of the University of Cincinnati Alpha Omega Alpha chapter for my clinical and academic contributions. I feel it is a privilege to be a physician and participate in your care and look forward to working with you to solve your clinical problems and improve your quality of life.
Academic title: Professor of Medicine Department of Internal Medicine Professor of – Division of Allergy & Immunology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
Education: University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Residencies: Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Hospital
Fellowships: Adult & Pediatric Allergy & Clinical Immunology, Northwestern University Medical Center
Board Certifications: American Board of Allergy & Immunology; American Board of Internal Medicine
“It’s clear why Dr. Bernstein receives such excellent reviews. He listens with the intent of understanding your unique situation and provides a thorough explanation of how your symptoms will be addressed. He is clearly a leader in the field of allergy research and treatment.”
“Dr. Bernstein was extremely informative and took extra care and time to explain everything. He came up with a care plan that was very thorough. He was very knowledgeable about a widely unknown condition. He exceeded my expectations.”
- Bernstein JA. Progestogen Sensitization: a Unique Female Presentation of Anaphylaxis. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2020 Jan 28;20(1):4.
- Shaker MS, Wallace DV, Golden DB, Oppenheimer J, Bernstein JA, et al. Anaphylaxis – a 2020 Practice Parameter Update, Systematic Review and GRADE Analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2020 Jan 27. pii: S0091-6749(20)30105-6.
- Patel GB, Kern RC, Bernstein JA, Hae-Sim P, Peters AT. Current and Future Treatments of Rhinitis and Sinusitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020 Jan 28. pii: S2213-2198(20)30071-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2020.01.031. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lai Y, Zhang G, Zhou Z, Inhaber N, Bernstein JA, Chockalingam PS, Wu J. A novel functional C1 inhibitor activity assay in dried blood spot for diagnosis of Hereditary angioedema. Clin Chim Acta. 2020 Feb 12;504:155-162.
- Bernstein JA, Virchow JC, Murphy K, et al. Effect of fixed-dose subcutaneous reslizumab on asthma exacerbations in patients with severe uncontrolled asthma and corticosteroid sparing in patients with oral corticosteroid-dependent asthma: results from two phase 3, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. Lancet Respir Med. 2020 Feb 14. pii: S2213-2600(19)30372-8. doi: 10.1016/S2213-2600(19)30372-8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Leisman DE, Harhay MO, Lederer DJ, Abramson M, Adjei AA, Bakker J, Ballas ZK, Barreiro E, Bell SC, Bellomo R, Bernstein JA, et al. Development and Reporting of Prediction Models: Guidance for Authors From Editors of Respiratory, Sleep, and Critical Care Journals. Crit Care Med. 2020 Mar 4. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000004246. [Epub ahead of print]
- Shaker MS, Oppenheimer J, Wallace DV, Golden DBK, Lang DM; Joint Task Force for Allergy Practice Parameters, Lang ES, Bernstein JA, Campbell RL, Chu D, Dinakar C, Ellis AK, Greenhawt M, Horner C, Lieberman JA, Rank MA, Stukus DR, Wang J. Making the GRADE in Anaphylaxis Management: Towards Recommendations Integrating Values, Preferences, Context, and Shared Decision-Making. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2020 Mar 18. pii: S1081-1206(20)30153-8. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2020.03.009. [Epub ahead of print]
- Maurer M, Aberer W, Agondi R, Al-Ahmad M, Al-Nesf MA, Ansotegui I, Arnaout R, Arruda LK, Asero R, Aygören-Pürsün E, Banerji A, Bauer A, Ben-Shoshan M, Berardi A, Bernstein JA, et al. Definition, aims, and implementation of GA2 LEN/HAEi Angioedema Centers of Reference and Excellence. Allergy. 2020 Apr 5. doi: 10.1111/all.14293. [Epub ahead of print]
- Saini S, Shams M, Bernstein JA, Maurer M. Urticaria and Angioedema across the ages. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020 Apr 13. pii: S2213-2198(20)30329-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2020.03.030. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hirano I, Chan ES, Rank MA, Sharaf RN, Stollman NH, Stukus DR, Wang K, Greenhawt M, Falck-Ytter YT,Chachu KA, Day L, Lebwohl B, Muniraj T, Patel A, Peery AF, Shah R, Singh H, Singh S, Spechler SJ, Sultan S, Su GL, Thrift AP, Weiss JM, Weizman AV, Bernstein JA, et al. AGA institute and the joint task force on allergy-immunology practice parameters clinical guidelines for the management of eosinophilic esophagitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2020 May;124(5):416-423.
- Mersha TB, Afanador Y, Johansson E, Proper SP, Bernstein JA, et al. Resolving Clinical Phenotypes into Endotypes in Allergy: Molecular and Omics Approaches. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2020 May 6. doi: 10.1007/s12016-020-08787-5. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
- Cherrez-Ojeda I, Mata VL, Vanegas E, Felix M, Bernstein JA, et al. Influence of Generational Cohorts on the Preferences for Information and Communication Technologies in Latin American Patients with Obstructive Lung Diseases. Int J Telemed Appl. 2020 Jan 23;2020:2489890. doi: 10.1155/2020/2489890. eCollection 2020.PMID: 32411213
- Morais-Almeida M, Aguiar R, Martin B, Ansotegui IJ, Ebisawa M, Arruda LK, Caminati M, Canonica GW, Carr T, Chupp G, Corren J, Dávila I, Park HS, Hanania NA, Rosenwasser L, Sánchez-Borges M, Virchow JC, Yáñez A, Bernstein JA, et al. COVID-19, asthma, and biologic therapies: What we need to know. World Allergy Organ J. 2020 May 16:100126. doi: 10.1016/j.waojou.2020.100126. Online ahead of print.PMID: 32426090
- Riedl MA, Maurer M, Bernstein JA, Banerji A, Longhurst HJ, Li HH, Lu P, Hao J, Juethner S, Lumry WR; HELP Investigators. Lanadelumab demonstrates rapid and sustained prevention of hereditary angioedema attacks. Allergy. 2020 May 26. doi: 10.1111/all.14416. Online ahead of print.
- Bernstein JA, Schwartz L, Yang W, et al. Long-term Safety and Efficacy of Subcutaneous C1-Inhibitor in Older Patients With Hereditary Angioedema. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2020 May 20:S1081-1206(20)30333-1. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2020.05.015. Online ahead of print.